Volvo Buses launches the Volvo B8R globally4/3/17
The Volvo B8R and B8RLE have been marketed in Europe since 2013 and in 2017 Volvo Buses will continue rolling out the new models globally. Buses on the Volvo B8R chassis are already being built in India. This summer several Asian markets are in line such as Malaysia and Thailand, along with Australia, the Middle East, Africa and South America.
“With the introduction of the Volvo B8R/RLE we are reinforcing our global offer with a modern and flexible product range that gives our customers even better scope for operations that boost life cycle cost-efficiency,” says Håkan Agnevall, President of Volvo Buses.
Just like their predecessor, the Volvo B8R and the low-entry Volvo B8RLE version are designed to form the foundation for both city buses and intercity buses, as well as tourist coaches and school buses. A robust structure using tried and tested components in the chassis and driveline create the prerequisites for high reliability and availability. The buses are also equipped with the Volvo Bus Electronic System, which means they are factory-prepared for future software upgrades.
The engine is the Volvo D8, Volvo’s own 8-litre common rail diesel producing 330 hp and up to 1200 Nm of torque. Despite a 40 hp increase in power, the new engine is at least as fuel-efficient as its predecessor. The oil change interval has been extended from 30,000 to 40,000 km in city traffic, and from 50,000 to 80,000 km for buses in long-distance operations.
High level of safety
The Volvo B8R and Volvo B8RLE were designed to meet high demands on driving properties, comfort and safety. The standard equipment includes features such as Volvo’s electronically controlled disc brakes and ESP (Electronic Stability Program).The Volvo B8R can also be specified with I-Coaching, a system that helps the driver drive more safely and fuel-efficiently by providing continuous feedback.
The chassis will be built in the Volvo Buses factories in Borås, Sweden and Curitiba, Brazil, for local final assembly and bodybuilding.
Facts, Volvo B8R and Volvo B8RLE
- Volvo B8R: Length 10.1–13.1 m. Width 2.4 m. Wheelbase 4.5–7.4 m. Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) up to 19 tonnes.
- Volvo B8RLE: Length 10.2–12.5 m. Width 2.5 m. Wheelbase 4.5–6.8 m. Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) up to 19 tonnes.
- Driveline: Volvo D8, in-line six-cylinder diesel engine producing 330 hp/1200 Nm in Euro 5 or Euro 3 configuration. Choice of several transmissions.
- Brakes and stability enhancement systems: Volvo EBS, ABS, Brake Blending, Hill Start Aid, Brake Assist, Volvo Electronic Stability Program (ESP), integrated hydraulic retarder.
- Driver’s station: Volvo’s ergonomically designed driver’s station, easy to view instruments and individual steering wheel adjustment.